Sunday, September 16, 2012

24.5 months & scooting




Yes, its the infamous W sit...the one she's not supposed to be doing.  Gwenny is confident and getting faster at getting in and out of sitting this way.  We're still working on transitioning to a tradition tailor sit from scooting, but she's a smart cookie and she knows this way is faster and easier.




This is an Amtryke that G got to try at PT this week.  It an adjustable tryke with straps on the seat & feet for special needs kids.  Gwenny was pretty tired this day, and acted only mildly interested. We'll try it again next week to see if she's more into it.  If she does get more interested, a tryke would be a great way to exercise her legs in pedaling motion.  I was told we could put Gwenny's story and picture on the amtryke website and people can donate to buying her a tryke.


We have been scooting a lot in the past 4 days.  I read the book, "What to do About Your Brain Injured Child" by Glenn Doman this week and we are implementing one of his ideas (my jury is still skeptical about some other ideas of his.) 

One of his theories on helping brain injured children to develop is to have them follow in the foot steps of well children.  He points out, and I've observed (as I'm sure most of us have) that when well children first become mobile, and start scooting on their bellies, they suddenly start scooting EVERYWHERE and they get into everything they can reach. 

I specifically thought of my friend's baby Grayson and when he started scooting.  Once he figured it out, he did it as fast as he could and got around everywhere he wanted on his belly.  I noticed that Gwenny does not do this.  She scoots around in very small intervals, from toy to toy in the living room and we spend a lot of time doing other exercises from PT, OT and ST. 

Starting on Sept 12, I focused very heavily on scooting, more specifically, the amount of scooting.  I figured G was scooting less than 10 yards each day.  Doman recommends 1-2 year olds who aren't yet crawling, but are scooting, should be scooting 75-125 yards daily (to build strength and independence.)  So this has been our aim. 

The first day, Gwenny scooted more than 50 yards.  Today, 4 days later, she scooted more than 80 yards (with lots of encouragement and coaxing.)  This morning, as Gwenny was on hands and knees, my parents and I witnessed her scoot her knee forward 3 TIMES!  I'll be keeping my eyes on this development...


Gwenny is very curious to watch me prepare her food in the kitchen, so I started turning her high chair around and found the tray fits under the counter.  She loves feeling like a big girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment