Sunday, August 12, 2012

23.5 months


Look at this big girl!
Mama is so excited to see her little G-funk lift that little butty off the ground by herself!  We've been working very hard on strength in G's arms, legs and core to be able to do THIS.  I was worried when we had a little set back two weeks ago (she was only able to hold this position for 8 minutes, when we had been doing 10-15 minutes prior to that.) 

 We can now hold hands & knees for 20+ minutes using the bamboo braces on her arms and the SPIO vest on her core.



As Gwenny get taller and heavier its harder for me to do the exercises with her that require my strength, such as her bearing weight standing (this is hard on my back and arms.)  We started experimenting with other things she could lean against besides Mama, as she is now too tall to lean against the front of the couch or chair and stand straight.

  The arm rest of the couch is ok, but you can see how she is still sticking her little booty out, and not putting her full weight on her legs.  This position is easier on me, but I still need to straighten her stance the whole time.

We discovered this solution while at Leslie's house (a big thank you to you, Les!  Everything happens for a reason.)  While G was wearing her SPIO vest and foot braces, I stood her in front of this large window.  She loved looking outside, and she was unable to stick her booty out because her face would go forward into the window.  She was forced to stand straight and surprised me by being able to balance,  with the aid of her hands on the window.  We have now cleared a place by a window at home so we can continue weight bearing on her feet and legs this way. 

 At this point we are at 20+ minutes for standing.  From what I've read, I'd like to get up to 1-2 hours per day.  This would be more ideal with a stander (like a high-chair that she would stand in) but we're looking at FAR too much expense for one of those ($2,000-ish).  I'm hoping to borrow one through a program.  Until then, we'll continue with the window.





Everywhere G goes is a perpetual mess!  She loves getting into things and emptying baskets, drawers or shelves of any kind- toys, blocks, DVDs, books.  I'm loving that she is curious and motivated to do this.  I couldn't care less about the mess.


Gwenny taking a pic of her & Mama.





Every once in a while I get a picture like this, where I am completely struck at how beautiful Gwenny's eyes are.










We took G to a restaurant that we didn't realize was a "nice" tablecloth-type place until it was too late.  She had a great deal of fun driving me up the wall while she played with the tablecloth (including peek-a-boo) the whole time we were there.


Gwenny and her cousin Chloie play so well together. Chloie gives G hugs, and they both give kisses to each other.  They "colored" together this week during a visit.  Gwenny seems to get the idea of scribbling (moving her hand back and forth over the paper) but she lacks the wrist rotation to get the crayon in the right position.







No comments:

Post a Comment