Saturday, May 5, 2012

20.25 months









One of the biggest developments this week has been the new foot braces G got at PT (physical therapy.)  She only has to wear them when she practices standing.  The purpose is for them to help her not curl her toes under so she can learn to balance better using her toes.  They are a little slick on the bottom, so we need to go out and buy some shoes to go over them.  G doesn't seem to mind wearing them, which is a definite plus!























 



We're still working a lot on unassisted sitting.  G gets a little stronger everyday.  She can sit on her own when I position her and she has one hand to lean on and stabilize herself.  She can sit with both hands up for about 5 seconds.
We're also working on a "tall kneel" and a "half kneel."  She's getting pretty good at the first, the second she dislikes.   She is also doing very good at pushing up onto her knees, and will occasionally push up onto her hands.  She seems to be very interested in crawling, but just lacks the upper body strength and coordination.  We'll get there soon!










G loves to drink out of cups.  Recently she loves to blow bubbles in the cup, and chew on your straw.  This week for the first time, when I let her chew on my straw she actually sucked some water up!  And surprised both of us :)







For the past 2 weeks I have been working hard on getting G to fall sleep in her crib, instead of rocking her to sleep every night.  Now that she is getting heavier, my back was beginning to hurt a lot from standing and rocking her to sleep for naps and bed time.  The first 3 nights were very hard.  I laid with her and read her a book, then rocked her while I sang to her, then laid her in her crib.  She cried for 25 minutes the first night.  (With me checking on her every few minutes.)  The time got shorter and shorter very quick, much quicker than I'd hoped.  This week, one night after our ritual of book and rocking/singing, I laid her in her crib, turned on her little glowing/singing sea horse and she looked up at me and smiled.  Then she wiggled her head around, rubbed her eyes and put herself to sleep. A few other nights, she didn't even make it past book reading and fell asleep on me.
This is Gwenny with her speech therapist.  We were having G get on and off the swing, and she was practicing her "asking" to get back on.  She loves swings!







1 comment:

  1. Ha! I remember so well the gasp and look of amazement when a child is "first time" successful with a straw.

    ReplyDelete